Protesters seeking justice for Jacob Blake break down door of Kenosha Public Safety Building

NOW: Protesters seeking justice for Jacob Blake break down door of Kenosha Public Safety Building

Updated: 4:20 p.m. on Aug. 24, 2020 

KENOSHA COUNTY, Wis. (CBS 58) -- Protesters seeking justice for Jacob Blake, a man shot by a Kenosha police officer, busted down the door of the Kenosha Public Safety Building Monday, Aug. 24.

A news conference originally scheduled to be held at a park was moved to the public safety building because some leaders felt it would be safer. Kenosha Mayor John Antaramian told protesters they would not be let inside for the conference. As he tried to get back inside, there was a lot of shoving, some people tried to get in the door and eventually broke the door down. 

Officers in riot gear then threw some sort of chemical irritant. 

Inside during the news conference, speakers included Kenosha Mayor John Antaramian, the Kenosha County District Attorney, Attorney General Josh Kaul, and a representative for various community groups. They shared their hurt for Blake’s shooting while letting us know he is still alive but in critical condition.

Officials also explained the process the case will go through that’s mandated by statues to make sure everyone has a fair court.

Wisconsin's Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) will conduct the investigation. They are a completely independent agency.

AG Kaul’s message is to trust the process and asked the community not to jump to conclusions.

"We understand the need for the investigation to move swiftly. Our goal is to move swiftly with this investigation, but we are only going to do so if it's consistent with protecting the integrity of this investigation. It is vital that we get as full and thorough an investigation as possible," Kaul said.

Kenosha County authorities declared a second night of a State of Emergency Curfew following the shooting. It begins at 8 p.m. and runs through 7 a.m. Tuesday.


Published: 5:33 a.m. on Aug. 24, 2020 

KENOSHA, Wis. (CBS 58) -- Protests continued into the night after a man was shot by police following a domestic call in Kenosha on Sunday, August 23.

Kenosha County declared a state of emergency curfew from 10:15 p.m. until 7 a.m. Monday. Following the shooting, protesters gathered in the city.

Following the shooting, protesters gathered in the city. 

Early in the morning on Monday, August 24, CBS 58 crews saw burned out garbage trucks, vandalized businesses and saw authorities blocking the area around the Kenosha County Courthouse. 

A nearby car lot was also burned. 

The shooting happened on Sunday near 28th Avenue and 40th Street around 5:11 p.m., after officers were called for a "domestic incident."

Graphic video of the shooting circulated social media. It shows Blake walking away from police and getting into an SUV. One officer is seen holding Blake's shirt, and then seven gunshots can be heard.

According to the Kenosha Police Department, officers provided immediate aid to the man after the shooting. He was transported via Flight for Life to Froedtert in Milwaukee in serious condition.

Blake's cousin posted the following message on Twitter early Monday morning:

"It should have never happened especially with four or five cops and one guy," one person told CBS 58. "He didn't have no weapon or nothing... It's happening everywhere, it's crazy it's happening here now."

Governor Tony Evers released a statement about the incident.

The Kenosha County Courthouse will be closed Monday, August 24.

The Kenosha Sheriff’s Department and Wisconsin State Patrol were called to the scene. The Wisconsin Department of Justice (DOJ), Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) will handle the investigation.

Share this article: