Milwaukee Post Office to Host Passport Day
The Milwaukee Post Office will host a Passport Day event on Saturday, April 9, 2016.
“This is a great opportunity for Milwaukee residents planning to travel outside the United States to apply for a passport without a making a reservation,” said A/Milwaukee Postmaster Maria Diggs-Jones.
In addition to the familiar passport book, travelers can also apply for a passport card, which may be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean region. The wallet-size passport card is a less expensive alternative for those who travel to these destinations, but it cannot be used for international air travel.
To apply for a passport book or passport card for the first time, applicants need proof of U.S. citizenship in the form of a certified copy of their birth certificate issued by the city, county or state, or a certificate of citizenship or a naturalization certificate. Applicants will also need a valid form of photo identification, and must submit a photocopy of identification, such as a current valid driver’s license, government ID or military photo ID. Unless otherwise noted, photo service will be available at Milwaukee Post Offices.
For first time applicants, the fee for a passport book is $110.00 to the Department of State with an acceptance fee of $25 to the Postal Service. The fee for an adult passport card is $30.00. An expedited process is also available. Passport applications for both the book and the card require a 2 x 2 photograph in color, which can be taken at the Passport Day event for a $15.00 fee. The fee for minors under the age of 16 is $80 for a Passport Book and $15 for a Passport Card. Parents applying for Passport Books/Cards for children under the age of 16 must both be present along with the child. The following Milwaukee area Post Offices will be participating in this event:
- Airport Mail Facility, 5500 S. Howell Ave. – 9:00AM – 3:00PM
- Bay View/St. Francis Station, 1603 E. Oklahoma Ave. – 9:00AM – 11:30AM
- Fred John Station, 5555 N. 91st St. – 9:30AM – 11:30AM
- Greenfield Branch, 7353 W. Forest Home Ave. – 10:00AM – 1:30PM
- Juneau Station, 606 E. Juneau Ave. – 9:30AM – 2:30PM
- North Milwaukee Station 5995 N. Teutonia Ave. – 8:30AM – 1:30PM - No Photo Service
- North Shore Branch, 5651 N. Lydell Ave. – 10:00AM – 12:00PM
- Root River Branch, 11015 W. Oklahoma Ave. – 10:00AM – 2:00PM
- Sequoia Retail Branch, 6825 W. Brown Deer Rd. – 10:00AM – 1:00PM
- Shorewood Retail Unit, 1620 E. Capital Dr. – 10:00AM – 12:00PM
- Wauwatosa Branch, 1655 N. Mayfair Rd. – 10:00AM – 1:00PM
- West Allis Branch, 7440 W. Greenfield Ave. – 8:30AM – 1:30PM
- West Milwaukee Branch, 4300 W. Lincoln Ave. – 10:00AM – 2:00PM
Customers can learn more about passport application costs and save time by downloading forms at www.usps.com/passport. U.S. citizens may also obtain passport information by phone, in English and Spanish, by calling the National Passport Information Center toll-free at 1-877-487-2778. For the latest information on passport deadlines and other travel requirements established by the U.S. Department of State, go to www.travel.state.gov. Travelers can check the status of their passport applications online at: http://travel.state.gov/passport/status/status_2567.html.