'Everything that we had is gone': Milwaukee family homeless after duplex caught fire on New Year's Day

MILWAUKEE (CBS58) -- Several people have been displaced after their apartment duplex caught fire. A mom and her 8-year-old daughter were among those to escape. She's now asking the community for help.

“2021 with nowhere to stay," Benita Washington said.

Washington and her eight-year-old daughter lived on the second floor of a duplex home near 35th and Brown Streets.

“I remember kind of hearing the neighbors screaming downstairs," she said. “I just saw flames coming up through the front, I got my daughter out of there.”

Benita Washington is still in shock. Her daughter doesn’t even have a pair of shoes. She’s completely starting over from scratch.

“If anybody can reach out and give us help that would fine.”

Washington is currently staying with a friend. If you would like to donate you can call this number 414-803-5610.

Share this article:
 
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?