Mental Health Awareness Month: Checking on seniors in your life
(CBS 58) – May is Mental Health Awareness month.
Shawn McComb from Milwaukee’s Right at Home, joined CBS 58 to talk about how to help seniors who may be struggling.
Many have been in isolation throughout the pandemic and more seniors are having issues with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder and eating disorders.
McComb’s tips for spotting someone who may be struggling include:
- Shouting or fighting with friends and families
- Feeling desperate or helpless
- Having mysterious pains
- Feeling emotionless or nothing matters
- Feeling strangely confused, angry, upset, worried or scared
- Thinking of hurting self or others
- Prolonged depression or loneliness
- Substance abuse
- Changes in sleeping and eating patterns