MATC Downtown Milwaukee Campus evacuated due to gas leak
MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) --- Milwaukee Area Technical College evacuated one of its buildings due to a gas leak on Tuesday, Feb. 17.
C Building on MATC's Downtown Milwaukee Campus evacuated shortly before 11 a.m. As a precautionary measure, additional buildings were also evacuated, including the M, S, A, and Foundation Hall buildings, officials say.
WE Energies responded to the leak at 700 Highland Ave. They were previously on campus investigating a previous water main break. The Milwaukee Fire Department also responded.
Shortly before 12:30 p.m., the cause of the gas leak was found to be related to the previous water main break near the C building. WE Energies determined it was safe to re-enter all buildings and the "all clear" was given, officials say.
MATC Facilities will continue to monitor the work being done to repair the water main break.
Those who parked in the 8th and State structure are asked to exit the structure onto 9th Street to avoid work in the area.