Fond du Lac Avenue Reconstruction Begins
Drivers could be impacted by a new construction project beginning Monday, March 28 on West Fond du Lac Avenue in Milwaukee.
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works (DPW) will reconstruct West Fond du Lac Avenue from West Capitol Drive to Nor 68th Street. The contractor for the project is Zignego Company, Inc.
Traffic signal work will be completed following the opening of the roadway.
The project includes:
· Replacing the existing pavement with a new concrete pavement
· Replacing curbs, gutters, sidewalks, and driveway approaches
· Constructing new sewer structures, and
· Installing monotube poles, mast arms and conduit.
The project will be accomplished in two phases:
· Phase 1 - March 28 through approximately July 22: Two-way traffic will be maintained in the existing westbound lanes, one lane in each direction, while reconstruction is occurring in the eastbound lanes.
· Phase 2- Approximately July 22 through November 18: Reconstruction moves to the westbound lanes, while two-way traffic will be maintained in the new eastbound lanes.
· Landscaping, sod/lawn, trees, and bio-swales work will be completed prior to July 1, 2017.
Four-way traffic access will continue at the intersections of West Fond du Lac Avenue at West Constance Avenue, West Congress Street, West Ely Place, West Maxwell Place, and West Frank Moore II Place.
Businesses and agencies along the construction corridor will be open as usual. DPW's Support for Business program is providing signage throughout the area to help direct motorists and pedestrians to their destinations.
The project is expected to be completed by November 18, 2016, weather permitting.