First look inside Oak Creek IKEA store
OAK CREEK, Wis. (CBS 58) – Wisconsin’s first IKEA store is only months away from opening its doors.
On Tuesday morning, CBS 58 got a first look inside the iconic retailer that’s putting the finishing touches on its 48th store in the U.S. near I-94 and Drexel.
More than 10,000 items will be for sale at the location with 50 rooms on display. One of those rooms will be a smart lighting room where customers can try out and buy LED smart lights. It’s a room no other U.S. store currently has. Also unique to the Oak Creek store are three model homes for people to browse for inspiration.
“As you’re walking through, you're actually going to feel like you're outside looking into somebody's home so it will have a really strong neighborhood feel so you'll actually be able to peek through a window and see what's going on inside or even see an outdoor seating area as you kind of progress through the path,” said IKEA store manager Samantha Gravina.
IKEA is looking to make some hires and will have a hiring event at the end of February. The store is on track to open in summer 2018.
Below are some numerical facts about the new store:
- Oak Creek's store is only one story, unlike other stores in Illinois
- The building is 291,000 square feet
- The store will have 1,000 parking spots
- 500 construction workers are actively working on the building
- Three food venues will be inside with the restaurant able to seat 350 people
- During the week you can expect 2,000-4,000 visitors, 4,000 - 6,000 on weekends
- The store is hiring between 250-275 workers