Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Fire breaks out at Kenosha elementary school, student being evaluated for burns

KENOSHA, Wis. (CBS 58) -- A 5-year-old boy is being evaluated for burns after a fire broke out Tuesday morning at a local elementary school. 

According to the Kenosha Fire Department, a Stocker Elementary student lit a toilet paper holder on fire and it dropped into a garbage can in a bathroom, lighting the can on fire as well. A custodian quickly put the fire out with a fire extinguisher. 

The Fire Department says the child was taken to the hospital for burns to his leg. 

The students were evacuated from classrooms and students were moved to the library so air purifiers could be used to clear the air. Fire officials say the bathroom did have some fire and water damage but once the school was ventilated, kids were back in class and school returned to normal. 

The Kenosha Fire Department says ironically, the Fire Safety house was at the school at the same time for their youth safety program and were able to respond very quickly. Stocker Elementary is located on 67th Street near Green Bay Road in Kenosha. 

Share this article:
Save with