Man dead, another hurt after being electrocuted near 84th and Layton in Greenfield

NOW: Man dead, another hurt after being electrocuted near 84th and Layton in Greenfield

GREENFIELD, Wis. (CBS 58) -- One man died and another was hurt after being electrocuted during a work accident near 84th and Layton in Greenfield on Tuesday, Oct. 22. 

According to the Greenfield Police Department, authorities were called to the rear of Penny Mustard just after 11 a.m., for a report of an electrocution. 

There they found two subcontractors who were working for Spectrum cable company. The Greenfield Fire Department says one man was on the ground and another was working in a bucket truck. 

A 38-year-old man was taken to Froedtert Hospital for treatment. 

Emergency responders were not able to get to the second man until power was shut off by We Energies. 

"They were able to cut power to the entire grid knowing that we had an imminent life safety risk," said Chief Jon Cohn with Greenfield Fire Department. 

We Energies released the following statement on the incident: 

"Our sympathy goes out to the victims and their families. We are assisting authorities as they investigate this situation."

After power was shut off, police say they found a 36-year-old man already dead. He was working out of a bucket truck, his co-worker was injured trying to save him. 

"We cannot stress enough the dangers of working around power equipment," said Cohn. "In any types of conditions if you're a contractor of even a person at home, prevention is the best medicine in our business."

Chief Cohn says the men could've been pulling wire or cutting trees, but don't know exactly what type of work they were doing. He says other people were there because renovations are being done in the area. 

"There were additional workers on the scene that called 911 almost immediately," Cohn says. 

Family members of the victim have been notified. 

Spectrum cable company released a statement saying: 

"Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the victims of today's accident. We're working closely with local authorities as they investigate this tragedy."

Greenfield Fire Department says investigators will look to see if weather played a part in the electrocution. Tuesday morning brought wet and windy conditions.

"Those elements in varying degrees play some part in any incident that happens," adds Cohn. 

The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office and OSHA are investigating. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday. 

Share this article: