CBS 58's Severe Weather Day at Milwaukee Public Museum
Join CBS 58 for a FREE behind the scenes look at storm spotting and severe weather forecasting at the Milwaukee Public Museum.
Learn more about the inner world of tracking, prediction and forecasting of severe weather and what you should do if you get caught in the storm.
CBS 58 Severe Weather Day Programming
- Meet & Greet the CBS 58 Weather Team. Ask questions about live television production of severe weather forecasting, take photos, and more!
- Tour a Storm Spotter Chase Vehicle. Sit behind the wheel of a chase truck and learn about the tracking equipment from the spotters in the center of storm!
- Discover Benefits of Weather Equipment. Accurate will teach visitors about the benefits of weather data collection through hands-on demonstrations.
- Behind the Scenes Look at National Weather Service Milwaukee. Learn about weather safety and tornado simulators with Warning Coordination Meteorologist Tim Halbach!
- Deconstruct & Explore What Makes a Thunderstorm. Join MPM Educators to discover the science behind clouds, investigate electricity with lightning, feel vibrations from thunder and scatter light to make rainbows!
- Catch a FREE Planetarium Show. View the night sky during Wisconsin Stargazing, showing every half hour at 10 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 12 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 4 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
CBS 58 Ready Weather: A Behind the Scenes Look at Severe Weather
- Severe Weather Day culminates with a panel discussion led by CBS 58 Chief Meteorologist Drew Burgoyne, who will be your guide as he takes you on a real life storm chase. Learn about the 2005 tornado outbreak in Wisconsin, and just how close the damaging 2015 Rochelle/Fairdale tornado came from our area. It’s an in depth look at everything that goes on behind the scenes of severe weather.
When: 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Where: MPM's Daniel M. Soref Planetarium
Cost: FREE to the public
Green Roof Tours
Now is your chance to tour MPM's Green Roof! MPM Educators will take visitors on a tour to learn the ins and outs of the museum's Green Roof. We'll go behind the scenes to visit the rooftop green house and you may even get your hands dirty when we investigate the rooftop garden's construction.
Open to guests ages 8 and up (all children must be accompanied by an adult)
Max tour size: 16 people, not ADA Accessible
Tour time: 10 - 10:45 a.m., 11:15 - 12 p.m., and 12:30 - 1:15 p.m.
Cost: $10/ person, museum admission not included. Call (414) 278-2728 to reserve tickets today!