Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Breaking News

Candle starts dresser on fire in Washington County town

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Wis. (CBS 58) -- During the afternoon on Christmas around 12:46 p.m. the Washington County Sheriff’s Office responded to a fire at a house in the 3200 block of Lighthouse Lane in Barton.

A woman was home when she smelled smoke and found a fire on top of a dresser in one of the bedrooms. A candle burning on the dresser lit other items on fire.

The woman put the fire out with a fire extinguisher and then got out of the house. 

When a Washington County Sheriff's Deputy responded they saw a "red hot" electrical cord and other objects smoldering on the dresser. The Deputy used his fire extinguisher to stop the fire from spreading before the West Bend Fire Department arrived.

The damaged from the fire was isolated to the dresser with some smoke damage elsewhere.

Share this article: