6 rescued in Milwaukee house fire near 33rd and Mt. Vernon
MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- Six people were rescued from a burning home early Friday, according to the Milwaukee Fire Department.
Batallian Fire Chief says got call just before 3am. The fire that started in one home spread to the one next door and a number of garages. It also started a gas leak. The leak is under control and it took crews 4 minutes to put out the fire. @RedCrossWIS helping 6 victims @CBS58pic.twitter.com/2UVsiQ9wea— Pauleen Le (@PauleenLe) December 20, 2019
Crews were called to the area near 33rd and Mt. Vernon around 3 a.m. Authorities say once on scene, they saw flames coming from two homes.
"Me and my roommate Q went downstairs and as soon as we opened the back door there were flames coming toward us," Ryan Crumble tells CBS 58. "So, we thought we were actually trapped so I closed the door and opened it back up and it was kind of clearing. I told him to go and he hurried up and ran out, but the flames stuff was kind of falling on us."
One of the homes was destroyed, the other was severely damaged. The fire also temporarily caused a gas leak.
"It could have been worse than what it is," Mykel Moore said. "All that other stuff, material, we can probably get it back. We'll get it back eventually and try to enjoy Christmas probably better with our families after this."
A look at the fire at 33rd and Vernon before @MilFireDept arrived on scene. Officials tell us the first house burnt to the ground and two more buildings caught fire. Updates from @PauleenLe on @CBS58. pic.twitter.com/r8b02BOOR1— Mike Curkov (@MikeCurkov) December 20, 2019
Investigators remain on the scene.
This is a developing story, stay with CBS 58 on-air and online for updates.