Milwaukee County ME's Office: 3-year-old Major Harris' death ruled a homicide

NOW: Milwaukee County ME’s Office: 3-year-old Major Harris’ death ruled a homicide

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- A tragic ending to the search for Major Harris. The 3-year-old boy was found dead on Milwaukee's north side Thursday, Oct. 21. His death has been ruled a homicide after an autopsy conducted by the Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office found Major was shot in the head. 

There have been a number of key moments in his case. 

Major's mother, Mallery Muenzenberger, was found dead near 37th and Clarke on Oct. 14. An Amber Alert for Major Harris went into effect Saturday, Oct. 16. 

One day later, on Sunday, Oct. 17, Milwaukee police found Jaheem Clark dead by suicide near 41st and Custer. Clark was the main person of interest in the case.

Monday, Oct. 18, a vehicle connected to Major's disappearance was found at Sherman and Villard. 

Thursday, Oct. 21, Major was found dead at 35th and Rohr. An autopsy ruled his death a homicide. 

Police have not shared the connection between Mallery and Clark. 

Major's father spoke to the media on Friday, Oct. 22. He says more should have been done to find his son. 

Carlton Harris says he is speaking to attorneys about possibly suing the Milwaukee Police Department for their handling of this investigation.

"My son was shot in the head. A 3-year-old baby. My plea is not even to the community anymore. My plea is to the world, I need justice for my son," Harris said.

The Milwaukee Police Department says there are still no arrests in the disappearance and murder of Major Harris.

Six people were arrested in the shooting death of Major's mother, Mallery Muenzenberger. 

So far, no charges have been filed by the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office.

Major's body was discovered Thursday afternoon during a search at 35th and Rohr. 

Police say his body was in a container next to garbage cans.

Acting Milwaukee Police Chief Jeffrey Norman says cameras were recently installed on Villard Avenue.

They used license plate tracking to locate the boy's body.

The family of Major's mother, Mallery, released the following statement: 

"On behalf of the family of Mallery M. Muenzenberger and Major Harris we again want to thank everyone who has helped in the search. We also want you all to know how much your thoughts and prayers have touched us. Our family is heartbroken and devastated beyond belief. We had so much hope for the return of our beautiful Major, that was shattered yesterday. We have been left with so many unanswered questions. Major’s grandparents (Mallery’s father and step- mother) are holding to their last few memories of the time spent together before this horrible tragedy began to unfold. Major was with his grandparent’s helping harvest the garden, gather eggs from the chickens and go fishing. Mallery’s last words to her father were, “I love you Dad”. Our wishes are to have them buried together. One of Mallery’s favorite songs was “In Arms of the Angel” by Sarah McLachlan. Our hope is our two angels rest in peace together. The outpouring from the community both in the Lacrosse area and Milwaukee has been tremendous and appreciated. Please pray for all of our families and that justice is served for those involved in this heinous tragedy."

The Milwaukee Police Department released the following statement Friday afternoon: 

"The Milwaukee Police Department appreciates that the family is experiencing unimaginable grief. We continue to send our sincere condolences to everyone that was impacted by the tragic death of Major Harris and Mallery Muenzenberger. MPD has worked tirelessly over the past week to locate Major and to ensure that justice is rendered to the victims of this horrific incident, and that investigation remains ongoing."
Share this article: