24-year-old charged in violent attack outside Beto's Pizza on Milwaukee's south side
CBS 58 MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) — A 24-year-old Milwaukee man has been charged in connection with a violent attack outside Beto's Pizza on Milwaukee's south side on Aug. 12.
Angel Garcia-Santibanez is charged with substantial battery and faces up to 3 1/2 years in prison and a $10,000 fine if convicted.
According to a criminal complaint, Milwaukee police officers were called to South Muskego Avenue shortly after 10 p.m. Aug. 12 for a reported battery.
Officers made contact with the victim, Larry Rauch, who told investigators he had been at Beto's Pizza on South Cesar Chavez Drive when he heard employees asking a man to leave the restaurant.
The man, later identified as Garcia-Santibanez, allegedly refused to leave. Rauch told police he approached Garcia-Santibanez and told him to leave, and Garcia-Santibanez eventually did.
Rauch later left the restaurant and walked south on Cesar Chavez Drive. He told investigators he was struck in the back of the head and lost consciousness.
After regaining consciousness, Rauch walked to South Muskego Avenue and called police.
Rauch was taken to a hospital with a skull fracture, broken nose and concussion. He also received four stitches.
A GoFundMe created for Rauch describes him as mentally and physically disabled, making it difficult for him to run or move quickly.
Beto's Pizza later posted surveillance video and images of the attack on social media. According to the criminal complaint, the video showed Rauch walking alone when Garcia-Santibanez allegedly approached him from behind and punched him in the head.
The complaint says Garcia-Santibanez continued punching and kicking Rauch while he was on the ground. Investigators said the video showed Rauch did not attempt to fight back.
An officer recognized Garcia-Santibanez from the surveillance footage after previously issuing him a parking citation at the same location on Aug. 9, according to the complaint.
Garcia-Santibanez was later arrested and agreed to speak with investigators after being read his Miranda rights.
According to the complaint, Garcia-Santibanez identified himself in the surveillance video and admitted to hitting Rauch multiple times. Investigators said Garcia-Santibanez told them he "knew he was in the wrong."
"The guy literally pummeled him, kicked him in the face," said Pastor Marty Calderon, an advocate with Milwaukee Promise Keepers, a community violence prevention group. "It hurt to see Larry get attacked so viciously."
Calderon said he has known Rauch since he was 14 and described him as peaceful, funny and genuine.
"He's not one to pick a fight. He won't do that," Calderon said. "Whatever transpired in there, I know Larry wasn't the aggressor. I know it for a fact."
Calderon said he does not know exactly what happened inside Beto's Pizza before the attack but said he could not imagine anything that would justify what followed.
"Maybe this guy just was angry, and didn't like what Larry was talking about, what Larry said, took it personal, and said, 'I'm going to beat this guy up,'" Calderon said.
Rauch has since been released from the hospital, according to Calderon, who said he is thankful for the community's help in identifying a suspect and leading to an arrest.
