13-Year-Old in Custody after Writing Bomb Threat in Hartford
A 13-year-old was taken into custody on Monday after allegedly writing a bomb threat note at Central Middle School, according to Hartford Police Department.
The subject admitted to writing the note, and told officers that there were never any explosive devices in the school. The student said the group of teens was fully aware that the note would cause fear and create a panic. The student said that it had been their intention to cause a “big deal” so the school would have to close the following day.
According to police, Hartford Officers responded to the Central Middle School, located at 1100 Cedar St., to investigate a note containing a bomb threat for a future date that had been left in a pass through window at the school office.
The note was not immediately discovered by the school staff.
An investigation revealed that a group of students had been captured on video leaving the building that afternoon at approximately 3:30PM.
As the group left the lobby one of the students could be seen placing the note in the window. With the assistance of school administration the students, including the individual placing the note in the window, were identified and brought in for questioning.
Three other students have also been interviewed regarding this matter. Any potential involvement on their part remains under investigation at this time.
The school facility was searched by Hartford Officers and Hartford Joint 1 staff. No suspicious devices were found. The suspect’s residence was also searched by officers with no evidence of any explosives being discovered.
Additional security measures will be in effect on Tuesday, according to Hartford Police.
Police said the investigation has revealed no evidence that the suspect ever actually possessed any explosive devices or their components in this incident. Additionally, no evidence has been discovered that anyone at the Central Middle School had ever actually been in imminent danger from this threat.