Wisconsin DOT starts maintenance project on Hale Interchange
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation starts preventative maintenance on the Hale Interchange this week. This is a detailed breakdown of the repairs.
The DOT has begun a maintenance project of ramps and bridges in and around the Hale Interchange in Milwaukee County. These seven structures are in fair condition but need preventative maintenance. This project will significant lengthen the life span of these structures.
A combination of the maintenance work to be performed:
• Removal and replacement of bridge expansion joints
• Concrete Repairs (Above Deck and Below Deck)
• Underside Structural Steel Repairs
• Thin Polymer Slab Overlay
• Parapet Refacing
The contractor, Zenith Tech, plans on completing the project in late spring with most of the traffic impacts occurring from now until late-November.
Beginning the week of October 13th, nightly lane restrictions started around the Hale Interchange along with overnight closures of system ramps. The Hale Interchange North to West System Ramp (I-894 East [southbound] from the Zoo Interchange to I-43 South heading to Beloit) and West to East System Ramp (I-43 North from Beloit to I-894 East and I-43 North [eastbound] to the Mitchell Interchange) are seeing closures from 9:30 pm to 5:30 am.
Beginning Monday October 20th the following long term closures will take effect:
• I-43 North outside lanes will be closed beginning at 116th St. until November 3rd.
• I-43 North ramp to I-894 East and I-43 North (eastbound) will be closed until November 3rd. Traffic will be detoured to exit the freeway at Layton Ave., then northbound on Forest Home Ave., then to I-894 East /I-43 North (eastbound).
• I-43 North on ramp from WIS 100 to be closed until November 21st. Traffic going to I-894 East and I-43 North (eastbound) will be detoured eastbound on Layton Ave., then northbound on Forest Home Ave. to I-894 East/I-43 North (eastbound). Traffic going I-894 West (northbound) will be detoured to follow northbound WIS 100, eastbound Beloit Road, then to I-894 West (northbound).
Beginning Wednesday October 22nd the following long term closures will take effect:
• I-43 South outside lanes will be closed at WIS 100 until November 5th.
• I-894 East (southbound) ramp to I-43 South to be closed until November 21st. Traffic will be detoured to exit the freeway at Beloit Road westbound, then south on WIS 100, then west on Layton Ave., then to I-43 South.
• WIS 100 northbound and southbound single lane closures during the day and two lanes to be closed overnight until November 21st.
For more information on the Hale Interchange Project go to http://projects.511wi.gov.