Waukesha County freeway standoff suspect rejects plea deal, heads to trial

NOW: Waukesha County freeway standoff suspect rejects plea deal, heads to trial

NEXT:

WAUKESHA COUNTY, Wis. (CBS 58) -- A suspect from a freeway standoff in Waukesha County last year is headed for trial, a decision he made himself.

Nathan Halfmann's attorney says Halfmann rejected a plea agreement Friday, Feb. 7.

He says Halfmann believes he's innocent of many of the charges against him and wants a trial.

Halfmann faces those charges for an incident in which deputies say he pointed a gun at them near the end of a high-speed chase.

Attorney Russell Jones says Halfmann is willing to be held accountable, but only for what he did.

"But I think that there's a lot of issues with respect to the police and what they did, and they need to be held accountable as well," Jones said. "So we're hoping the trial will hold police accountable as well."

Jones did not elaborate on what the police may or may not have done. 

No date for a trial has been set yet, but Halfmann is due back in court on Feb. 27.

Share this article: