VISIT Milwaukee CEO resigning at the end of the year
MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- A nationwide search is on for a new President and CEO of VISIT Milwaukee.
Monday, Paul Upchurch, current President and CEO of VISIT Milwaukee, announced he is resigning at the end of the year.
“It’s been a long decision, but I have another opportunity,” Upchurch said. “With the DNC and all the wonderful things that are happening in Milwaukee and for VISIT, it just seemed like a good time.”
Upchurch has led VISIT Milwaukee for more than 9 years, starting in March 2010. During his time, tourism numbers double and he helped the Democratic National Convention (DNC) Host Committee secure the 2020 bid.
Upchurch will stay in his role until the end of the year to help with DNC planning as well as plans to expand the convention center.
“We just need to make sure we have a convention center that can accommodate the demand we’re getting,” Upchurch said.
The search for his replacement has already begun.
“We feel this is going to be a smooth transition,” Omar Shaikh, VISIT Milwaukee Board Chairman, said.
VISIT Milwaukee will be forming a committee and hiring a national firm to help find the best candidate.
“We want to find the right fit, the right person,” Shaikh said. “There are so many exciting things happening here in Milwaukee, we want it to be the right fit.”
VISIT Milwaukee’s goal is to have a replacement hired by the end of the year.
Upchurch has not disclosed his future plans yet but says his new opportunity will involve some time in Milwaukee and some traveling.
VISIT Milwaukee shared a list of some of Upchurch’s accomplishments:
- · Assisted the DNC Host Committee in securing the DNC 2020 bid
- · Secured the USA Triathlon for three consecutive years -- a first for a USA Triathlon
- · Welcomed the CONNECT Marketplace convention for the first time in Milwaukee
- · Brought back the National Governor’s Conference in 2013,
- · Assisted with the transition of the Wisconsin Center District leadership team
- · Created VISIT Milwaukee’s award-winning website, and
- · Spearheaded the DearMKE project in 2012.