Video: Referee punched in the head during soccer game brawl in Brookfield

Video: Referee punched in the head during soccer game brawl in Brookfield

BROOKFIELD, Wis. (CBS 58) -- Video shows Terrence From, a soccer referee, getting punched in the head during a championship game Sunday at the Midwest Orthopedic Sports Complex in Brookfield.

“They were playing an aggressive game, and it’s our job to reel that in,” From said.

The game was between FC Wisconsin and San Jose FC, a team out of Illinois. The aggression became so fierce, refs had to end the game early and that is when From said things got out of control.

“I saw an FC Wisconsin coach get hit in the head with a full bottle of water,” From said.

When he went to intervene, he said he got punched in the face and attacked by several San Jose players.

“I’m appalled by this,” he said. “Where do you get off thinking its ok to punch people and on top of it my job is to make sure people are ok out there, so I have to intervene.”

Brookfield Police arrested and cited three of the Illinois players, two 17-year-olds and a 12-year old.

From said this punishment is not enough. He has been a referee for more than 8 years and he says sportsmanship is declining.

“I don’t know what’s going on these days, but kids don’t want to respect authority,” he said.

A basketball player at a high school game in Portage County was recently punched, and last month a Nicolet High School basketball star was taunted by fans from the other team.

The Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA) is striving to improve sportsmanship, and prevent incidents like these from happening.

“We know there’s excitement and we don’t want to bottle that excitement, but keep it positive and that’s the critical piece in all of this is genuine respect for others and keeping it positive,” Todd Clark, Director of Communications for WIAA, said.

Despite a trip to the hospital, a swollen face, back pain, not being able to open his mouth or chew, From says he will be returning to the game.

“I’m going to keep doing it,” From said. “This isn’t going to stop me.”

As of Wednesday afternoon, From said he had not received an apology or heard from the San Jose team.

Share this article: