Please note: Over-the-air viewers in Milwaukee need to re-scan televisions on Friday, October 18 to continue to receive CBS58, WMLW, MeTV, Telemundo Wisconsin, Heroes & Icons, Bounce, Decades, Start TV, Movies! and most other local channels. Those viewers unable to currently receive these stations over-the-air should see improved reception on October 18. Cable and satellite viewers are not impacted.

Further information on the re-scan can be found at:
https://www.cbs58.com/rescan

Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Toddler dead in Portage apartment fire

PORTAGE, Wis. (WISC) -- Portage police confirmed that one toddler is dead following a fire at the Ram Hotel apartments Sunday morning.

According to a press release from the Portage Police Department, officers received a call reporting the fire at 9:53 a.m. at the Historic Apartments, also known as the Ram Hotel, in the 200 block of West Cook Street.

The release said officers arrived to find common area hallways and the staircase filled with heavy smoke. Officials told News 3 that flames were visible when crews arrived at the apartments.

Two fire departments, four emergency medical services agencies and the Columbia County Sheriff's Office are responding to the scene.

According to the release, officers helped residents evacuate.

Officers were informed of a toddler possibly trapped on the fifth floor, but, due to fire and smoke, officers could not reach the child, the release said.

Portage Firefighters were able to access the fifth floor to locate and remove the child.

Police said in the release that the child was transported to Divine Savoir Healthcare, where the child later died.

The Red Cross said it is up to 60 residents impacted by the fire.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close

0 Comments

Post a comment
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?