UPDATE: Police identify kidnapping suspect found dead after 21-hour standoff

UPDATE: Police identify kidnapping suspect found dead after 21-hour standoff

Updated:  10:35 a.m. March 11, 2018

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- The subject of a police standoff in Milwaukee has been identified. The Milwaukee Police have identified the man as 34-year-old Persey Morgan. 

Morgan was found dead in a house near 18th and Clarke after a 21 hour standoff. Morgan, who was a suspect in several criminal incidents earlier in the day including kidnapping, had been in the home since 6:30 p.m. Friday. He refused to come out prompting a tactical response by the MPD. 

Police entered the house around 3:30 p.m. Saturday and found Morgan dead.

Because the situation was deemed a critical incident, the Milwaukee County Investigative Team will investigate the circumstances surrounding Morgan's death with the Greenfield Police serving as the lead agency.


Updated: 4:11 p.m. March 10, 2018

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- According to Milwaukee Police, the suspect that was still in the house was found dead around 3:30 p.m. on Saturday. 

The manner in which the man died is still under investigation.

The standoff and tactical situation has ended.


Updated: 2:23 p.m. March 10, 2018

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- In a press conference Saturday afternoon Milwaukee Police said that events leading up to the tactical situation have been ongoing for over 24 hours. It started Friday morning around 5:00 when three armed people entered a house near 60th and Port Avenue. The men kidnapped another man and a woman and took them to a home near 56th and Hampton where they ransacked a house.

After ransacking the home, the kidnapped man was shot and left for dead while the kidnappers took the woman to a house near 18th and Clarke. The man survived and has been taken to the hospital for treatment.

Milwaukee Police entered the house near 18th and Clarke and arrested two of the three kidnapping suspects. The kidnapped woman was also found and had injuries showing she had been beaten. Police also found a child in the house.

One suspect, identified as a 34-year-old Milwaukee man, refused to come out of the house and a tactical team has been in the area since 6:30 p.m. Friday.

After a failed non-lethal attempt to get the suspect out shortly after midnight, police have not heard from the suspect since 1 a.m. Saturday. 

According to police, the man is armed with several guns including an assault rifle. The suspect's family are working with police to get the man to surrender. The suspect has said that he will not go back to jail.

Officers have used a robot to enter the house and see where the man is holed up. 

Police say the entire situation is drug related.


Updated: 1:00 p.m. March 10, 2018

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- Milwaukee Police say a 34-year-old man has been barricade in a house at N 18th and W Clarke Streets and is armed with multiple weapons. The incident began Friday and is ongoing.

At a news conference Saturday morning, MPD said the standoff began after a drug related incident. The man reportedly told police "I'm not going back to jail."   


Posted: 10:10 a.m. March 10, 2018

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- Police tape surrounds a street on Milwaukee's north side.   The Milwaukee Police have been been on the scene  of a tactical situation at N 18th and W Clarke Streets.  The situation  has been ongoing overnight but very little information is available about the incident.    CBS 58 has a news crew on scene and will provide more information when it becomes available. 


Share this article: