Most arrested during Kenosha protests not from city; National Guard troops remain on the ground

NOW: Most arrested during Kenosha protests not from city; National Guard troops remain on the ground

NEXT:

Updated: 4:29 p.m. on Aug. 31, 2020 

KENOSHA, Wis. (CBS 58) -- Kenosha officials held a news conference Monday, Aug. 31, to update the public on the status of National Guard troops in the city and the ongoing curfew. 

Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth was asked again if he’s watched the Jacob Blake video and officials responded to tweets from President Donald Trump. 

Friday, Aug. 28, Sheriff Beth said he’d never seen the video of Blake being shot by officers. Then a video made rounds on social media show Beth watching the video the very day of the shooting. 

Sheriff Beth responded by saying: 

"I remembered that situation but if you saw that video of me holding the phone, you didn’t look at what was around me. You did not look at the rocks being thrown at me. The Molotov cocktail that was landing near my feet. I wasn’t looking at the phone. I was looking at people that were very animated around me," Sheriff Beth said. 

Sheriff Beth said he did finally watch the Blake shooting video over the weekend. 

"I still don't have a comment on it," Sheriff Beth said. 

Also at Monday's news conference, officials were asked about a tweet from President Donald Trump saying he is the one who insisted the National Guard activate.

Officials say, that's not the case.

"The White House has talked a lot about sending National Guard members in and what I want to reemphasize is the process is actually a governor to governor through the EMAC [Emergency Management Assistance Compact] process. We had already started talking to other states, it’s something we do right away with something like this," said Wisconsin National Guard Adjutant General Maj. Gen. Paul Knapp.

There are more than 1,500 National Guard troops on the ground in Kenosha. A 7 p.m. curfew will be in effect Monday night, Aug. 31, and Tuesday night, Sept. 1. Wednesday, Sept. 2, curfew will be at 9 p.m. 

------

Published: 9:54 a.m. on Aug. 31, 2020 

KENOSHA, Wis. (AP/CBS 58) — Police say most of the people arrested in demonstrations against police brutality since the shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha were not city residents.

Police records show that of the 175 people arrested during protests in Kenosha since Blake was shot in the back Aug. 23, leaving the 29-year-old Black man paralyzed, 102 have addresses outside of the city — including 44 different cities.

Protesters have marched in Kenosha every night since Blake's shooting, with some protests devolving into violence that has damaged buildings and vehicles.

Authorities say a teenager from northern Illinois shot and killed two protesters in Kenosha on Tuesday night.

Share this article: