Packers win in overtime thriller 31-28

GREEN BAY, Wis. (CBS 58) -- The Packers have defeated the Cowboys in an overtime thriller 31-28.

Mike McCarthy made his return to Green Bay, along with a list of other former Packers players and coaches.

First Quarter:

Much of the first quarter was scoreless, but the Packers offense was moving. They were utilizing the run game right away.

Both teams were moving the ball, but were unable to get it in scoring range. Towards the end of the first quarter, the Cowboys put themselves closer to scoring range after a penalty call on the Packers.

After the first quarter, we were tied at 0.

Second Quarter:

At this point in the game, the Packers were utilizing the run game much more than the passing game. They had 65 rushing yards compared to just 15 receiving yards.

About halfway through the second quarter, the Cowboys scored on a Ceedee Lamb touchdown. After the PAT, it was 7-0 Cowboys over the Packers.

Towards the end of the second quarter, the Packers had a big run that put them in good field position.

Shortly after, the Packers scored on a 58-yard touchdown pass to Christian Watson. After the PAT, it was a 7-7 game.

Shortly after, when the Cowboys took over, they ran a quarterback sneak on a fourth-and-one and got it.

Then, Dak Prescott threw an interception to Rudy Ford and the Packers over. This was Ford's second interception of the game.

The Packers didn't take long to grab momentum, and they scored on a 12-yard touchdown run by Aaron Jones. This was the Packers' first lead of the game. After the PAT, it was 14-7 Packers over the Cowboys.

The Cowboys scored just before halftime and after the PAT, we were tied at 14.

Third Quarter:

To start the third quarter, it was much of the Cowboys taking over. About halfway through the quarter, Amari Rodgers fumbled on a punt return and the Cowboys scored in just four plays after a 13-yard run by Tony Pollard. After the PAT, the Cowboys took over the lead 21-14.

Shortly after, the Cowboys scored on another Lamb touchdown. After the PAT, it was 28-14 Cowboys.

After the third quarter, it was 28-14 Cowboys.

Fourth Quarter:

A few minutes in the fourth quarter, the Packers scored on another Watson touchdown. After the PAT, it was 28-21 Cowboys.

Towards the end of the fourth quarter, Watson caught his THIRD touchdown of the game. After the PAT, we were tied at 28.

After regulation, we were tied at 28, heading into overtime.


The Cowboys had the ball and the Packers struggled to stop the run. However, they made a big fourth-down stop and the Packers took over on offense.

Once the Packers took over, they marched down the field and Mason Crosby kicked a game-winning field goal to win the game.

Next up, the Packers will take on the Titans on Thursday Night Football.

Share this article:
Sign up for the Sports Newsletter