Milwaukee holding compost bin and rain barrel sale, West Allis offering discounted rain barrel
MILWAUKEE/WEST ALLIS, Wis. (CBS 58) -- Two cities in Milwaukee County are holding rain barrel sales later this spring.
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works will host its 8th annual backyard compost bin and rain barrel sale in June with bagged organic compost and compost bin kits now available.
- Bins, barrels, organic compost, and accessories must be pre-ordered online at milwaukeecompostersale.ecwid.com by May 24, 2019
- Pick up purchased items on Saturday, June 1 from 9:00 a.m. to noon in the Estabrook Park parking lot, 4600 Estabrook Parkway
- Pick-up on June 1 will take place rain or shine
- No day-of sales will be made at Estabrook Park on June 1 – pre-orders by May 24 only will be honored
- This sale is not restricted to City of Milwaukee residents
Earth Machine™ compost bins and SYSTERN rain barrels will be available for $50 and $69 respectively (including tax), a significant savings from regular retail prices of $100 and $120, respectively.
Organic compost comes in 25-pound bags (approximately one cubic foot per bag) for $10 per bag ($8 for current organics pilot participants).
Beginner composters can visit milwaukee.gov/CompostBinSale for more information.
Composting and rainwater harvesting go hand in hand. One inch of rainwater falling onto a 1,000 square-foot roof yields up to 600 gallons of water saved from our stormwater sewer systems.
Residents can use this harvested water for their lawns and gardens without turning on the tap, which conserves our natural resources and can help people save money on their water bills. To learn more about rainwater harvesting, visit freshcoast740.com.
Visit MilwaukeeRecycles.com for more information or call (414) 286-CITY (2489).
Property owners in West Allis can also order a discounted rain barrel for $20. For more information, please click here.