Mayor: Curfew is in place to prevent Wauwatosa from having unrest like Kenosha

Mayor: Curfew is in place to prevent Wauwatosa from having unrest like Kenosha

WAUWATOSA, Wis. (CBS 58) -- A curfew is still in effect in Wauwatosa Saturday, Oct. 10 beginning at 7 p.m.

The curfew order expires Monday, Oct. 12 at 6 a.m. Mayor Dennis McBride said city officials have not yet decided whether they will extend it past that, but he said he hopes they do not have to do so.

Friday night was another hectic night in the city, with law enforcement arresting 28 people. Two were felony arrests, one was a misdemeanor and 25 arrests were municipal arrests.

Guy Roeseler, owner of Ono Kine Grindz, said he boarded up his business on Wednesday and has had to close early because of the protests.

"I would like to see positive change, that people feel that their rights are being respected. Then, we can calm down and start talking peacefully and make change that way. I don't think that smashing windows and scaring people is effective. There's not a PR company in the world that would recommend that that's how you do something," Roeseler said.

He said he believes there is a reason to protest but wishes the protests would happen during the day instead of at night.

"It's been a rough year, and this isn't helping. That's for sure," Roeseler said.

Wauwatosa police said they only began using tear gas and pepper balls in self-defense after members in the crowd threw rocks and bottles. McBride reinforced this point in an interview with CBS 58.

"There's been a lot of misinformation, a lot of misinformation on social media and emails and everywhere else that the police fired tear gas before the protesters did anything wrong. That is absolutely false," McBride said.

He continued, "Protesters were throwing bottles and rocks and other projectiles at the police. The protesters were warned several times to stop and to disperse. They didn't do it. Then, and only then, did the police fire tear gas."

Neighbors near North Avenue watched as protesters encountered law enforcement Friday night.

"(Through) my window, I could smell the gun powder -- that pellet that they use for the tear gas, and then I could feel the stinging in my nose, so I quick closed up the windows," said neighbor Trevor Skaife.

Skaife questioned why law enforcement used tear gas.

"It's frustrating to see the police use this kind of force when that's what we're against," he said.

Protesters and those who support them have also questioned why the curfew is still in place.

"It doesn't seem like there's any reason for it. After the first couple of nights, it seemed like it wasn't necessary anymore," Skaife said.

McBride responded to that with: "The curfew is not primarily in place for the protesters. It's primarily in place to protect the safety and well-being of everyone else."

The mayor said his goal is to make sure his city does not reach the levels residents experienced in Kenosha.

"I think everyone understands after Kenosha when people got killed, when people got hurt, when people got maimed, that that's not something we want in Wauwatosa or anywhere else," McBride said.

Share this article: