Mader's restaurant reopens after it was shut down for rodent infestation

NOW: Mader’s restaurant reopens after it was shut down for rodent infestation

Updated: 5:22 p.m. May 3, 2019

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- Mader's is back open after it was shut down by the health department. 

The health department says they found dead rodents and their droppings during an inspection on Thursday. 

A spokesman for the city says all evidence of rodents had to be eliminated and all food equipment that was contaminated needed to be properly sanitized in order for it to reopen for guests. 


Updated: 12:00 p.m. May 3, 2019

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- An iconic German restaurant in Milwaukee is shut down but could reopen as early as Friday afternoon. 

City health inspectors forced Mader's to close after finding rat droppings and dead mice and rats in the restaurant's basement. 

Mader's says it is taking the matter seriously and implementing the appropriate steps to "properly address the issue." 


Posted: 10:47 p.m. May 2, 2019

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- A popular Milwaukee restaurant has been shut down after failing its latest health inspection.

Mader’s restaurant located on Old World Third Street was shut down due to an infestation.

Mader’s is Milwaukee’s oldest German restaurant, and although the sign above the door says “wilkommen” which means welcome in German-today patrons found out they were not able to come in due to a rodent infestation.

“It’s pretty gross.”

People in Milwaukee all night have been walking up to Mader’s, only to find it closed.

“We thought this bar looked like a lot of fun,” said Morgan Burriss. “And we came and we noticed that the doors were locked and there was a sign put up.”

Not only were the doors shut, but a sign said it was closed down by the health department.

“This was my dinner plan for tonight,” said another patron Eric Shaffer. “And I saw a notice on the window saying they were closed.”

“It was always fantastic; it’s an institution in Milwaukee.  And so it’s something you know, we come from Rockford to go there,” said Kathy Geissler who always visits the restaurant when she’s in town.

According to the health department, they shut the restaurant down due to an imminent health hazard.

That hazard was rodents.

“It’s freaks me out a little bit to know that there’s places just operating that could be shut down at any time whether there’s gross things going on,” said Paige Domach.

“No, I don’t want a side of rodents,” said Shaffer.

“Pretty alarming, I mean I would be worried if I was a customer in there if I was to see a rodent cross by me, or anywhere in the bar alone,” said Burriss. “So yeah, pretty scary.”

“I don’t know if I’ll come back here, no.”

Mader’s released a statement saying that they are taking this matter seriously and are implementing the appropriate steps to properly address the issue and reopen Friday.

Share this article: