Kenosha apartments evacuated after worker pours ammonia down drain
KENOSHA, Wis. (CBS 58) -- An apartment complex in Kenosha had to be evacuated after a maintenance worker poured ammonia down a drain Friday, Dec. 27.
Hazmat teams responded to the building near 16th and Birch Friday afternoon. The worker had been cleaning in the basement.
The Somers fire chief says the situation could have been deadly.
"Somebody had told him to mix chlorine bleach with it and it would clean better. That is deadly. That combination together is a deadly combination and people have done it around the county," said Somers Fire Chief Carson Wilkinson.
Thankfully, the worker did not do that.
Residents were allowed to go back inside after the building was ventilated.