Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Fire at Racine IHOP does $50,000 damage

RACINE, WI (CBS 58) -- The IHOP restaurant in Racine sustained $50,000 in damage Sunday from a fire believed to have been caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette.   The Racine Fire Department was called to the restaurant around 5:30 PM when black smoke was spotted coming from the roof of the building.    According to a department news release, when they arrived, firefighters discovered heavy smoke inside the restaurant.   The fire was located inside a wall and was extinguished within 16 minutes.     Fire officials believe the fire started when a cigarette was carelessly discarded on the west side of the building.   Fifteen customers were inside the building when the fire was discovered.   The IHOP employees were able to get all the customers of the restaurant unharmed.   Around 7:30 PM the building was turned over to the restaurant management and the Racine Health Department has been called in to insure the safety of future  customers.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close

0 Comments

Post a comment
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?