Family in Shock after Mother, 4-year-old Daughter Found Dead in Burning Home

CBS 58- The mother and grandmother of the woman and child found dead in a home police believe was intentionally set on fire, says she can’t imagine who would want to hurt them.

Milwaukee police released the names of the victims Monday. The bodies of 28-year-old Jessie Ellenberger and her four-year-old daughter Madyson Marshel were discovered Saturday night, inside a home on 68th Street after a fire. Police believe it was arson, but are still working to know if the fire killed them both.

The mother and grandmother of the victims, Annette Ellenberger,says it was heart-wrenching when she and her husband Konrad, a retired Milwaukee Police lieutenant, learned police are investigating the deaths as homicides.

“When we heard it was arson, our hearts dropped,” Annette said. “And then we knew that there was somebody else that had to be involved.”

But Annette can't fathom who that person is.

“If you would know my daughter, you wouldn't think she has an enemy in the world,” Annette said.

In fact Annette describes Jessie as caring, almost to a fault

“She would just care so much about someone and that person would stab her in the back and do something behind her back and she’d still want to be that person's friend and make things better for them,” Annette said.

And Annette says Jessie was first and foremost a mom.

“[She] Wanted to make sure that Maddie had the best of everything, especially her time,” Annette said.

The two would cook together, play dress up and loved to cheer on the Packers and the Brewers.

“ Madyson was the other light of our life,” Annette said. “She was an exceptional little girl.”

Annette says Madyson picked up her mom's caring nature, a trait the noticed every night when she tucked in her doll.

“She’d kneel down on her knees and say now we have to say our prayers,” Annette said. “And so she’d say her prayers with Natasha [her doll] and cover her up and kiss her and say I love you, sweet dreams.”

Those are the memories Annette and her family are keeping close, as the wait for answers.

“I know they're in a better place now, but we’d like this whole thing resolved,” Annette said.

Autopsies were scheduled for Monday to determine how Jessie and Madyson died. No arrests have been made.

Share this article: