Fire fighters called back to Family Dollar Store Saturday morning

NOW: Fire fighters called back to Family Dollar Store Saturday morning

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- The Milwaukee Fire Department was called back to the Family Dollar Store at Hampton and Tuetonia early THIS Saturday morning for a spot fire in the roof of the building.   The fire is believed to have been smoldering under the roof’s rubber membrane for the past week.  It reignited around 3:45 AM.   Crews used a ladder truck to quickly douse the flames.   MFD officials said the curved shape of the roof and its covering makes it difficult for fire fighters to approach.

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- A Family Dollar Store at Hampton and Teutonia on Milwaukee's north side was destroyed by fire Saturday afternoon.

The fire started around 3:30 p.m. Saturday and Milwaukee fire fighters remained on scene for more than 7 hours. According to the Milwaukee Fire Department, the roof collapsed and the Family Dollar is a total loss. When the fire was discovered there were shoppers and employees in the store. Everyone escaped unharmed. A shopper inside the store at the time of the blaze tells CBS 58 everyone ran for the exit as people screamed "fire" and saw smoke. 

"Everyone was just scattering for the doors," said Adriana Anderson, who was inside the store. "I broke out as soon as I heard 'fire.' I can't get caught in no building." 

Milwaukee Police confirmed they had taken one person into custody in connection with the fire. Witnesses tell CBS 58 crews on scene that they saw a little boy arrested at the scene.  

"I saw a little 10-year-old boy in handcuffs," Anderson said. "They heard he flicked the lighter and all a sudden flames flew everywhere and everything sparked up." 

The MPD says detectives and other officers are continuing to investigate the cause of the fire. 

The Milwaukee Fire Department sent eight engine companies, five ladder trucks, a rescue rig, two paramedic units and three chiefs for a total of 50 people to fight the fire. Shoppers say they are thankful they made it out of the building. 

"Very scary," Anderson said. "I could have got caught with the smoke. I'm glad I got out just in time." 

Share this article: