E&H Outdoor Storage considered total loss after dropped gas tank sparks fire

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Wis. (CBS 58) -- A garage fire was started by a gas tank being dropped in Washington County on Friday morning.

Crews were called out to E&H Outdoor Storage in the Town of Polk for a report of heavy smoke. Crews quickly located a fully engulfed garage type building and upgraded to a MABAS call.

The investigation revealed that a gas tank was being removed from a vehicle inside the building by two employees. The gas tank dropped quickly and a spark from something ignited gasoline that was spilling from the tank.

The building and contents are considered a total loss.

The right lane of I41 had to be shut down while the fire was being extinguished due to the presence of a propane tank on the south side of the building. 

 One of the employees suffered minor injuries associated with the fire when he returned inside the building to retrieve an item.

The investigation remains ongoing. 

Share this article: