Fire destroys apartments, businesses in historic Kenosha building
KENOSHA, Wis. (CBS 58) -- A fire in a 104 year old building in Kenosha destroyed apartments and businesses Wednesday.
It happened at the corner of 22nd Avenue and 63rd Street.
Authorities were called to the scene just after 9 a.m. They believe the fire started in a record shop on the first floor of the building, and spread.
Video captured by a CBS 58 crew shows flames and smoke coming from the roof of the building. Several other fire departments responded.
"I went to work and I get a call from my mom that my building's on fire. And I show up here and my rental people call me and tell me my building's on fire and they have no information I get here and it's literally on fire. And I lost everything. I just moved in," said Jackie Lopez, who lived in the burning building.
"It was a little blaze downstairs in the record store, and by the time I parked my car, fire went everywhere," said Greg Dreper, who lost everything in the blaze.
The Red Cross says they are helping 11 people find temporary housing after the fire.
The Kenosha Fire Department refused to answer questions Wednesday, only saying the fire was under investigation.