Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Child playing with a lighter starts a house fire in Racine

The Racine Fire Department was dispatched to 4221 Marquette Drive this afternoon for a reported structure fire in a duplex. 

Upon arrival, fire crews discovered smoke and flames coming from a 2nd story window. 

Crews were able to make a fast attack and knock down the fire, which was contained to the room of origin. 

Occupants of both units were able to escape prior to the fire department's arrival. 

No injuries were reported. 

The assistance of the Red Cross was refused as the occupants made arrangements to stay with family. 

According to the fire department, the cause of the fire was a child playing with a lighter.

An estimated loss of $30,000 in damages was reported. 

Share this article: