'Careless use of smoking materials' leads to fire in Sheboygan Saturday

NOW: ’Careless use of smoking materials’ leads to fire in Sheboygan Saturday

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (CBS 58) -- The Sheboygan Fire Department (SFD) responded to a residential structure fire near 6th and Superior in Sheboygan Saturday, Oct. 16.

Authorities say Sheboygan firefighters quickly put out a porch fire that extended to the second floor and attic area just after noon Saturday.

Reports indicate that ten people were displaced by the fire that caused an estimated $50,000 in damage.

Officials announced that the Red Cross was contacted to assist the persons displaced.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.

The Sheboygan Fire Department said the incident cause was a result of careless use of smoking materials.

SFD reminds the public to "put your cigarette out in an ashtray or bucket with sand and use an ashtray with a wide base so they won’t tip over and cause a fire."

Share this article:
 
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?