Update: Illegal fireworks cause $100,000 in damages to Racine duplex

Updated 4:05 p.m. on July 10, 2019

RACINE, Wis. (CBS 58) -- A fire that broke out in a duplex in Racine started after fireworks ignited household goods which were on the 2nd floor balcony.

According to the Racine Fire Department, the errant fireworks caused over $100,000 in damage.

The fire started on the balcony after the illegal firework was shot off. It then got into the eaves and traveled into the attic. The fire then caused a living room window to break and fire entered the apartment.

"This fire is an example of why any fireworks that leave the ground or explode are illegal in City of Racine," said a Captain with the Racine Fire Department. 


RACINE, Wis. (CBS 58) -- The Racine Fire Department was called to a house fire near 9th and Parker on Sunday night.

Crews were called out to the two-family home around 9:30 p.m. after bystanders reported seeing fire on the second story balcony.

Prior to fire department's arrival, a bystander feared someone may be trapped in the upper unit. The bystander broke through two doors to check for occupants before retreating due to heavy smoke and high heat.

He was evaluated at the scene by the Racine Fire Department and declined transport to a hospital.

Fire crews brought the fire under control quickly.

The Red Cross responded to assist two women who lived in the two separate units.

The Racine Fire Department would like to remind everyone of the following -- "Once you're out, Stay Out!" Entering a building on fire is dangerous and that action carries with it the potential that civilian rescuers could turn into additional victims. An already bad situation would be made much worse. Nobody was home at the time of this fire."

There was an estimated $120,000 in damages done to the structure. 

Share this article: