BBB warns of scams during National Moving Month
Posted: May 24, 2021 7:39 AM CST | Updated: May 24, 2021 9:42 AM CST
MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) – The Better Business Bureau Serving Wisconsin is warning of scams during National Moving Month.
President and CEO Jim Temmer joined CBS 58 to share tips to make sure you don’t fall victim to a scam.
- Watch out for warning signs: When reviewing a company’s website, if there is no address or information about a mover’s registration or insurance, it is a sign that it may not possess the proper policies to protect a consumer’s belongings
- Be wary of unusual requests: If a mover asks for a large down payment or full payment in advance, that may be an indication of a fraudulent business
- Get everything in writing: When moving between states, check licensing with the U.S. Department of Transportation. An identification number is required of all interstate moving companies, issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- Keep an inventory of your belongings
- Ask questions: Do not be afraid to ask questions about anything you don’t understand