1 person, 1 pet rescued from Mequon home during fire, people reminded to check smoke detectors in their homes

MEQUON, Wis. (CBS 58) -- Volunteers at the Mequon Fire Department spent Monday afternoon battling a garage fire.

The garage was attached to the home.

Firefighters requested help from the Mequon Police Department as well as surrounding towns.

A Mequon police officer was able to make voice contact with a person inside the home. He entered the house to assist the occupant.

The person inside the home was evaluated and was uninjured.

The officer re-entered the smoke-filled home to rescue a pet in a crate.

Mequon fire units immediately begin attacking the fire with two different hose lines.

Crews encountered heavy smoke and high heat on the second floor. Fire crews opened the ceiling on the second floor and cut off the fire in the attic with their hose line.

While there is significant damage to the building in the garage and attic, the vast majority of the contents of the home in the living areas were saved from damage.


The pictures shown of the damage are posted with permission of the homeowner in hopes that others will see the damage caused by the fire and will check their smoke detectors to ensure that they are all operational.

Share this article:
 
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?