UPDATED: One Person Dead After Car Flees Traffic Stop Near 27th and Capitol

UPDATED: Sunday, November 20, 2016 --- 4:14 p.m.

A broken light pole, shattered glass and car parts are visible the day after the accident..

Saturday night around 9:45, an older model Chevy was driving fast towards the intersection of N 27th Street and Capitol Drive.

Speeding from police, the Chevy swerved into oncoming traffic, and collided with a Nissan Altima.

Everyone in the Nissan is expected to be okay, but a young man riding in the Chevy died.

"It's a sad thing happening. I feel sorry for the parents of the child that died," said Fred Banks.

The three others in the in the Chevy had serious injuries, and police haven't released much about the 18-year-old female driver.

Fred Banks is a pedestrian at the intersection everyday. He crosses 27th and Capitol on his way to work. 

"This is a danger zone right here on 27th and Capitol," said Banks. "This always been a speed demon. Everyone wants to fly right through."

Banks says he worries about safety on the corner even more now knowing a life was lost.

"I have teenage kids, older kids too. My heart goes out as a parent," said Banks.


ORIGINAL: Sunday, November 20, 2016 --- 9:20 a.m.

MILWAUKEE - The Milwaukee Police are investigating after a car accident left one person dead.

It happened last night near 27th and Capitol around 9:45 PM. Police were attempting to stop a car for a traffic offense when the subjects fled. The officers, following policy, did not pursue. The subjects car, an older model Chevy, continued northbound on N. 27th street at a very high rate of speed.

As they neared Capitol Drive, they swerved into southbound traffic and struck a 2015 Nissan Altima and a concrete light pole. A rear passenger in the Chevy, a male in his late teens or early 20's, died on the scene despite life-saving efforts. The driver who is an 18-year-old female and two other male passengers, ages 18 and 20, suffered serious injuries.

The three occupants of the Nissan, two males ages 28 and 28, as well as a 22-year-old female, suffered non-life threatening injuries. They are currently being treated at a local hospital.

Milwaukee Police continue their investigation into this incident.

Share this article: