Helpful Tips for Crosswalk Safety
Crosswalks are among some of the most accident-prone traffic configurations on the roads. Intersections for foot and road traffic can make a dangerous situation if persons using them don’t fully understand proper safety procedures. We’ve compiled a list of some important tips for both pedestrians and drivers to remember each time they approach a crosswalk.
Tips for pedestrians
- Cross roads at marked walkways as jaywalking forfeits any and all right of way for pedestrians.
- Follow all signals for crosswalk etiquette and safety, always look both ways and ensure the road is clear from both directions before crossing, even if you have the walk signal.
- Make eye contact with approaching drivers to ensure they see and stop for you.
- Ensure all oncoming vehicles have stopped to allow you to cross. Even if one has stopped, other cars still may be coming.
Tips for drivers
- Always yield to pedestrians at crosswalks and intersections.
- Reduce speed and be prepared to stop in all areas with marked crosswalks.
- Come to a complete stop if pedestrians are crossing or preparing to cross the road.
- Never pass another vehicle that is stopped or slowing down at a crosswalk.
- Wait until pedestrians have crossed at least one lane past you to begin driving again.
By following these simple tips, you can help to prevent any number of needless accidents at crosswalks and ensure the safety of everyone in the intersection. If you or a loved one has been injured at a crosswalk or intersection due to someone else’s negligence, the attorneys at Hupy and Abraham are here to help in any way possible. Our offices can be reached at 800-800-5678 or via online chat 24/7 at hupy.com.
For more information visit www.hupy.com