Discarded cigarette causes Racine garage fire, officials say

RACINE, Wis. (CBS 58) -- The Racine Fire Department said a garage fire was caused by a discarded cigarette in a nearby garbage can on Wednesday, March 10.

The Racine Fire Department responded to the garage fire near William and Lasalle around 8 a.m. 

The fire was brought under control within 10 minutes of the initial 9-1-1 call, fire officials say.

Officials say the cause of the fire was a cigarette in a garbage can located against the northwest corner of the garage. 

There were no injuries reported. 

The damage is estimated to be $10,5000. 

Altogether, 22 firefighters responded to the scene. 

The Racine Fire Department said they thank the caller for their efforts and for waking up the sleeping family members inside of the home.

Fire officials remind citizens to only discard smoking materials in an Underwriter's Laboratory approved smoking materials container. 


Share this article:
 
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?