Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

iPhone Explodes in Milwaukee Man's Pocket

A local man said his iPhone exploded in his pocket and he's got the pictures to prove it.

"I heard a pop, didn't know exactly what it was," said Pierre Whitehorn.

It was yesterday morning, when Pierre Whitehorn said he noticed smoke coming from his pocket.  

"It was a lot of heat, and the next thing you know a flame shot out of my pocket. And a whole lot of smoke," said Whitehorn. 

That's when he noticed his iPhone 6s Plus, had caught on fire.  He has holes in his clothes that seared through his pants pocket.

"Singed my fingers a little bit. Singed my leg, Burned through the pocket of my basketball shorts, so those are pretty much toast," said Whitehorn.  

And the damage didn't stop there. 

"Placed it on my truck and it left a little burn mark on my truck," said Whitehorn.  

Whitehorn said he got the phone less than a year ago and never had any problems. 

"I honestly didn't know how to react. I just dropped my pants, pulled my phone out," he said.  

iPhones exploding are nothing new. The same thing happened to a guy in new jersey a few days ago. 

Earlier this month Samsung suspended sales of their Galaxy Note 7 phone after reports that battery issues were causing the phones to catch fire.

"It's mentally scarred me," Whitehorn said. 

Whitehorn said he went to the apple store and they replaced his phone free of charge, but hes still afraid there could be a case of Deja Vu. 

"I'm hesitant on putting the phone in my pocket now," he said. 

CBS 58 reached out to apple about what happened. They said they have no comment on this specific situation, but that customer safety is very important to them.

Share this article: