Police: Boston Marathon suspects: 1 dead, 1 on the run


by Laura Matovina

(CNN) Violence terrorized Bostonians overnight, and police believe two suspects involved are the same men who allegedly planted bombs that killed three in the Boston Marathon Monday.

One was shot dead early Friday, and the other is still on the loose, authorities said.

One of the men, "suspect number 2" in Monday's bombing, is still at large in the Boston suburb of Watertown, where dozens of officers from local, state and federal law enforcement agencies have fanned out to track him down, said transit police spokesman Paul MacMillan.

He is believed to be armed and dangerous. Police warned residents to lock their homes and stay away from their windows and doors.

A surveillance camera image of the man strongly resembles photos of one of the suspects authorities are seeking for his alleged involvement in the marathon attacks that killed three.

The other suspect was shot in an exchange of gunfire with transit police and later pronounced dead at a local hospital, according to a statement from the Massachusetts district attorney.

Police believe he could be suspect number 1 in the marathon attack.

Original story below posted: [Posted 4:05 a.m.]

Two violent incidents kept Bostonians on edge over night, just days after the bombing of the iconic Boston Marathon. It started with the shooting death of a college police officer Thursday night and ended with a carjacking that may have involved explosives early Friday.

Police believe at least one suspect used explosives against their officers in the second incident.

Howling sirens pierced the night quiet, and flashing lights lit up the darkness, as dozens of officers from state and city police responded to the deadly shooting on the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge. Hardly an hour later, they were chasing at least one suspect in a hijacked vehicle less than five miles away.

Police cornered the vehicle in the suburb of Watertown and arrested a suspect. He may have used explosives in the futile attempt to elude police, police spokesman Dave Procopio told CNN.