Racine school evacuates after natural gas scare
RACINE -- It seems simply preparing for winter forced around 1,000 students, teachers and staff outside of Jerstad-Agerholm Middle and Elementary schools Wednesday morning.
Administrators evacuated the building as a precaution. The fire department WE Energies responded soon after.
They discovered maintenance had recently fired up the boiler heat system. That system naturally vents gas upon start-up. Wind pushed the vented gas back into the school's air intake, causing the smell.
Clum told CBS-58 they haven't had the chance to practice a fire drill yet this year, so the fact everything went so smoothly shows how well his staff works and his students listen.