West Bend N/A
Fond du Lac N/A
Mother of boy killed in fire speaks out
MILWAUKEE --- The mother of a seven year old boy who died in a fire Saturday morning said she is sorry for what happened to her son.
Joelle Creasy was killed in the house fire near 23rd and Auer. According to a newly released medical examiner's report, an adult relative was watching Creasy and four other children. The relative fell asleep while food was cooking on the stove. When he realized there was a fire downstairs in the kitchen, he gathered the five children. They jumped off of the roof, but Creasy did not make it. He was found dead in a second floor bedroom.
Creasy's mother, Tameshia Brice, said she was out of town for two days while visiting her sister. She said she realized her smoke detectors needed batteries a couple of days before she left, but did not have a chance to replace them. She is now urging families to make sure their smoke detectors work.
A house to the left of the Brice home was severely damaged by the fire. Residents made it out safely after working smoke detectors alerted them.
Brice is making funeral arrangements for her son. She said she is grateful for all of the support she is receiving. She aso said she did not have renters' insurance. The Red Cross is assisting the family.