Wednesday, August 27, 2014

News
Racine family forced from home after fire
by Tiffany Shepherd


RACINE-- A Racine family of five have been forced from their home after a fire broke out at the house on Taylor Drive early Saturday morning.

Fire crews responded around 4:30 a.m. and encountered heavy smoke.

They extinguished fire on both the first floor and the basement.

Officials said that the fire started in a wall in the basement and traveled up in the all above the kitchen and ignited the kitchen cabinets.

The cause of the fire was inadequate wire size and installation. An electric space heater was plugged into a receptacle that was fed by wired that were not the proper size.

The residents were able to safely exit the home before fire crews arrived.

The Red Cross is assisting them with their housing needs.