Aaron Hernandez investigated for 2012 double murder


New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was handcuffed Wednesday morning and put into a police cruiser outside his home in North Attleborough, Massachusetts. The nature of his being taken into custody remained unclear. He is likely to be transported to the police department, where he will be told what charges he faces, if any. Authorities have been tight-lipped since 27-year-old Odin Lloyd's body was found.


by Chris Patterson

(CNN) -- Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez is now being investigated in connection with a double murder in Boston's South End in July 2012, a law enforcement source close to the investigation told CNN.

Aaron Hernandez back in court Thursday. Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, charged with the murder of a Massachusetts man, will be back in a courtroom Thursday for a bail hearing.

Hernandez will appear at Fall River, Massachusetts, Superior Court at 2 p.m. to appeal a judge's decision to hold him without bail, the court magistrate told CNN.

A second man arrested in connection with the murder investigation is also expected to appear before a judge.

Carlos Ortiz was arrested in Bristol, Connecticut, on Wednesday and will have an initial hearing in Attleboro, Massachusetts, District Court as early as Thursday, a source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN.

Hernandez is accused in last week's shooting death of Odin Lloyd, whose body was found in an industrial park area less than a mile from Hernandez's home.

He has pleaded not guilty.

He was released by the Patriots after his arrest Wednesday.

A 'model inmate'

During his first 24 hours in jail, Hernandez has been "polite and cooperative" and a "model inmate," Bristol County Sheriff Tom Hodgson said.

He was being held in the jail's medical unit, which is standard for someone who hasn't been incarcerated before, he said.

The former pro athlete showed "no apparent nervousness" in jail, Hodgson said, but he noted the difficulty of going from having thousands of people cheering for him to being "just a number."

While in the medical unit, Hernandez will be locked up for 23 hours a day, with a break for a shower and phone calls, the sheriff said.

Accusation of orchestrating murder

Hernandez "drove the victim to the remote spot, and then he orchestrated his execution," First Assistant District Attorney Bill McCauley said in court Wednesday.

"He orchestrated the crime from the beginning, he took steps to conceal and destroy evidence, and he took steps to prevent the police from speaking to ... an important witness," the prosecutor said.

Defense attorney Michael Fee has said that the evidence is circumstantial and that bail should be granted so that Hernandez can return home to spend time with his fiancee and 8-month-old child.

"It is a circumstantial case. It is not a strong case," Fee said, arguing that Hernandez was not a flight risk and had cooperated with authorities.

Lloyd, 27, was a semipro football player who worked for a landscape company. His sister, Olivia Thibou, told CNN that her brother was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee. Lloyd and Hernandez were at a Boston nightclub together the night of June 14, she said.


Should employers be able to ask applicants for social media log in information?

  • Yes
  • No