Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Five hospitalized after CO leak in Milwaukee

WE Energies and rescue crews responded to a carbon monoxide leak in Milwaukee Friday morning. Five people had to be hospitalized including one child. The leak occurred inside a home near 27th and Greenfield Avenue.

The area was quickly made safe around 6:45 a.m. Officials tell CBS 58 there was enough CO in the home to kill a person within 3 hours. WE Energies says the source of the leak appears to be a faulty boiler.

WE Energies suggests keeping a CO detector in your home at all times of year, but especially pay attention to equipment like furnaces and other heaters that have been switched off all summer.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is highly toxic and odorless. CO is a gas produced when fuels such as gasoline, fuel oil, propane, kerosene, natural gas, coal and wood do not have enough of an oxygen supply to adequately burn. If you suspect CO in your home, leave and call 911 immediately.

WE Energies says carbon monoxide poisoning is difficult to detect, but the condition is a life-threatening medical emergency. Symptoms include dull headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, confusion, impaired judgement and loss of consciousness.

Share this article: