Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Fire in Racine caused by 5-year-old with a lighter

RACINE - A building in Racine is damaged and the Red Cross is finding shelter for 5 adults and 5 children after a fire this afternoon.

The Racine Fire Department was dispatched to the 1300 block of Michigan Blvd. for reported smoke coming out of the front and back windows.

Upon arrival, crews found heavy smoke and fire from 2nd-floor windows. The crews were able to contain the fire to 1 of the 3 units.

One pet was recovered and revived by crews on scene and no other injuries were reported.

The fire originated in the bedroom and the estimated total loss to the building was $55,000.

According to the fire department, interviews revealed that a 5-year-old with a lighter started the fire. 

Share this article: