Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Elderly man killed in house fire with no smoke detectors

MILWAUKEE -- A sad warning about the importance of smoke detectors in every home. An elderly man was killed in a fire this afternoon where crews say there were no smoke detectors.


Dennis Chojnacki crying outside his home, said the 80 year old man was a quiet person, but a good friend, \"He passed away and I'm hurt.\"


Assistant Chief Dan Lipski says the man's home near 12th and National had no smoke detectors, a painful reminder to crews who pulled him out.


\"It's something I hope my children never have to see, it's a horrible thing, any loss of human life is a travesty.\"


Lipski says if you need a smoke detector or batteries they have a service in the city to get one for you 286-8988.

Share this article: