Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Alert police officers save apartment complex after cigarette ignites mattress in Grafton

GRAFTON, Wis. (CBS 58) -- Early Saturday morning just after midnight two Grafton Police officers were on patrol near Delaware Street when they smelled smoke. The officers walked around an apartment complex and saw smoke coming from a window around 12:23 a.m. 

The officers called for the Grafton Fire Department and entered the apartment that was on fire to determine the source of the smoke. When officers found the source of the fire the evacuated a man and his dog and pulled the fire alarm to evacuate the rest of the building. 

Grafton firefighters quickly extinguished the fire when they arrived. 

A burning cigarette was the likely cause of the fire after it ignited a mattress. No one was injured in the fire and only the one apartment was damaged. 

According to fire officials the man in the apartment had removed the smoke detectors. His has been referred to the Ozaukee County District Attrorney for review of possible charges.

Share this article: